Tuesday 7 January 2014

New Year Flowering Plant Hunt

Inspired by the BSBI's New Year plant hunt, and armed with a new macro lens for my camera, I spent yesterday lunchtime wandering round the reserve looking for flowering plants.  I surprised myself by finding 8 different species, and reminded myself how hard it is to identify them.  I even managed to talk myself out of a few identifications, and had to ask for help on Facebook and the i-Spot website. Here are the results:
  1. Red Clover; Trifolium pratense
  2. Red Campion; Silene dioca
  3. White Dead Nettle; Lamium album 
  4. Mayweed; Tripleuspermum inodorum x maritimum
  5. Common Ragwort; Senecio jacobaea
  6. Hazel; Corylus avellana
  7. Self Heal; Prunella vulgaris
  8. Penstemon; Penstemon sp.
With hazel being a tree, and penstemon being a garden plant, that reduces me to 6 flowering species found yesterday.  However, around my estate I also have the normal weeds, so I have 9 that count:

     9.  Grounsel; Senecio vulgaris
    10. Common Chickweed; Stellaria media
    11. Dandelion; Taraxacum sp.

No comments:

Post a Comment