Monday 27 January 2014

Big Garden Birdwatch

On Sunday I took part in the RSPB's Big Garden Birdwatch, which aims to get members of the public involved in birdwatching, by sending in records of all species seen in their local garden or park on a set weekend.

The day dawned with howling gales and torrential rain - there was not a dicky bird in sight!  At lunchtime the clouds had cleared a little, so I topped up the feeders and put out some buggy bites.  I set up a viewing station in the conservatory so that I had a cup of tea, checklist, binoculars and my camera to hand, and waited.

At first there wasn't much action - even my family of greenfinches failed to turn up. After a while though I began to see some action. It is surprising how many species you can see when you look properly.  I managed to log: blue tit, dunnock, starlings, magpie, blackbirds and a mistle thrush.  I was a bit uncertain whether my dunnock was a female house sparrow, but it was greyer underneath and around the neck so at least now I have learned the difference.

I have put together the crib sheet below - photos courtesy of RSPB Bird Guide.

No comments:

Post a Comment