Sunday 24 March 2013

Great crested newts

Luckily there was no more snow overnight, and the roads were not icy at all, so we made it to the PondNet training course safely and actually arrived early.  We spent the morning in the classroom learning about pond surveying techniques, amphibian ecology and how to identify/distinguish the different species. After lunch we were supposed to be heading out to the local pond to try out some of the techniques, but it was still bitterly cold with snow on the ground and we were unlikely to find anything. However we did get the change to look at and and handle some live samples that the trainer had brought with her, so I got to hold my first great crested newt. What a beautiful animal!  I can't wait for the weather to warm up now so that I can get out and start searching my local ponds. While I am waiting for my survey area to be allocated, I am going to make some newt egg strips ready for deployment - these are basically 'fake' plants that the newts use to lay their eggs on.  Thank you PondNet for an enjoyable and informative day.

No comments:

Post a Comment