Tuesday 2 September 2014

Lower Aire Valley Volunteers

Today I took part in a practical work day with a group of local YWT volunteers. My traineeship will be ending soon, and I am keen to get as varied an experience as possible, so I thought it would be good experience to spend one of my volunteering days this week doing something a bit different.

I joined my local Reserves Officer and helped install a gate and some fencing at the entrance to one of the small nature reserves that we manage for Leeds City Council.  A kissing gate had already been fitted allowing pedetrian access, but we needed to install a large gate for vehicular access.  Finishing off some wooden fencing would make the site secure, as it has unfortunately been subjected to fly tipping recently.

Most of the morning was spent digging holes, which had to be three feet deep. Before lunch, we managed to install the gate posts and set them with concrete.  After lunch, we were then able to finish off the wooden fencing and fit the gate.

A hard day's labour but good weather and good company and a job well done :)
I think I may ache a little tomorrow though!

No comments:

Post a Comment