Tuesday 3 September 2013

Penguin Conference Day 2

I skipped the first session today, but very studiously stayed in my room and finished my S216 notes and started some revision on water and rivers.

I arrived at uni for the session before lunch. Most of the lectures were about foraging habits. There was some interesting work on the African penguin colony at Stony Point, highlighting the issues for penguins in mainland colonies: big cats, tourists, wild fire etc. There was also a view of fish acoustic surveys around Robben Island and comparison with penguin foraging which was interesting but a little inconclusive.

After lunch, there were a further five presentations, with some interesting talks from non scientists about liaison with the fishery industry, and setting up biodiversity action plans. Professor Dee Boersma gave an inspiring lecture about the Galapagos penguin, which she has been studying for as long as I have been alive!

At the end of the day, there was a special presentation made. Dr Bernard Stonehouse was presented with a life-time achievement award for this work with penguins. Now in his 80's, he has been studying penguins for 60+ years and has been an inspiration to many generations of penguin scientist.

After lectures, I walked up to the zoo and managed to have a look around for the last hour before it closed. I went into the lemur enclosure but they didn't want their photograph taking. There is a baby gorilla that was running around the enclosure like a typical toddler - but my photos came out blurry. I went into the underwater viewing point to see the penguins swimming, but there were only the inca terns splashing about. So not much luck from that perspective!

I then managed to get myself completely lost in and around Clifton. I did manage to find Observatory Hill - more by luck than judgement - and got good views of both Avon Gorge and the Suspension Bridge. I have visited Bristol many times before but these landmarks have been elusively just round the corner. I managed to 'bag' a few more Gromits on my way home.  After a couple of hours walking in the warm late summer sun I was glad for a shower, microwave dinner and beer then chilling out for the rest of the evening.

No comments:

Post a Comment