Friday 2 August 2013

Citizen Science

Today I managed to get some of my work colleagues involved in a science project!  I mentioned the Society of Biology's flying ant project last week, and today when I came in to work this morning my colleague Ian presented me with a small tupperware box containing two flying ants. He had obviously paid attention to my enthused ramblings, and had humanely killed them by putting them in the freezer.  As we were chatting, some more colleague overheard the discussion. They too had seen flying ants, so I helped them log the sightings of the website.


As far as my S216 studies go, I did manage to get my project submitted a week early. The deadline was yesterday, and I am hoping my tutor will be kind and not make me wait too long for the result. I enjoyed the fieldwork, searching for amphibians in my local country park. I also found out lots by researching various scientific papers. However, my results were inconclusive and I found it really hard to stick to the word limit.  I was only a few words over, but I am sure I will get criticised for leaving out some vital facts.  Fingers crossed I will get a reasonable result.

It's only three weeks until my next assignment deadline, so I need to get motivated. This hot weather is not very conducive to staying indoors and reading text books!

I got my joining instructions through for a Limnology course run by the Field Studies Council. It takes place at the end of August at the Malham Tarn centre. It will be a nice break, and hopefully will embed some of the learning points for my environmental science course, as well as giving some practical experience of taking water measurements.

No comments:

Post a Comment