Monday 29 April 2013

Successful newt hunting

I carried out one last visit to Rothwell Country Park this evening before I go away on holiday. I managed to get some better pH and conductivity results using the digital metres, and am optimistic that this will give me some more meaningful data for my project. We also carried out some torching with overall quite poor results, however Robert did manage to catch his newt! We identified it as an adult male smooth newt. Although I am sure there was a female with him last time, we couldn't find any signs of eggs (though it was getting a bit too dark).

I got an email from one of the post-grad students in South Africa today - very welcoming and with lots of hints and tips. I can't believe it is just a few days until I fly now! I'm not looking forward to the long flight, but have booked seats on the end of the aisle so at least I can get up and wander around a bit more easily.  I made sure I packed last weekend so I don't have to worry about that this week when I am trying to close down issues at work. I've just got a few items of clothing to put through the wash, then that's me ready to go.

Other good news: I got confirmation from the OU last week that I have passed another two short course modules: S173 Plants & People and S175 The Frozen Planet. This means I have been awarded the Certificate in Contemporary Science. Still a long way to go until I get my degree, but at least one milestone has been reached.

No comments:

Post a Comment